I had two exchanges this week. The first one was with Elder Rose and it is his first transfer out. We did a lot of finding. We tracted for 5 hours. We found a bunch of potential investigators and even a former that wants to learn more. We ran into a woman running a day care and I asked if there was a good time for us to come by and teach her but she said the best time was right then. I think she tried to make it so we wouldn't want to come in since there were a bunch of babies and kids running around but I really didn't care. We came in and there was nowhere to sit because a babies were on the couch and we had to stand and it was awkward. We taught her the first lesson and answered some questions after. She said she didn't want to switch religions but she was grateful we taught her because she hadn't even heard of the Book of Mormon before. She was really stuck in her ways but she has a good view of the LDS church so it was a positive. We did some 12-week training for new missionaries so I trained him a little bit and it was nice. Training is fun and I like it becuase I can make sure new missionaries do what they are supposed to do and help them work hard.
Then I had another exchange with the ZL's. They are a lot more experienced and it was really nice to see some different ways of doing missionary work. I learned some better ways of approaching people and how to start conversations. We tracted into a young man that is in the semi pro hockey leage and he actually knew some mormons and he mentioned a convert who lived near by. We had a good lesson with him and he seemed to notice a difference in the life that mormons lived then others. We answered a lot of questoins he had and he wants to learn more but he is moving to Texas. The convert he knows goes to BYU-Idaho from what I heard from ward members. She isn't in our ward though. We are hoping to get her email and number and give it to the investigators so they can talk. I am sure there are some missionaries who would love to teach him down in texas too. I am sad he is living but as long as someone teaches him I am happy that he can start exploring the Chuch of Jesus Christ. Some day he will be an awesome member and will teach his kids how to follow Christ and his example. We talked to him about temples and how we are sealed to our families forever.
I think temples are my favorite way to get people interested in hearing our message. Many people or I should say almost all of them just assume they will live with their family after this life and they will still be together. They say their preachers say the same thing we do but they don't. I talk about how when we are married in the temple of our God that not only we are sealed for time on Earth but for eternity and how those who seal us have the priesthood authority to do so. What they bound on earth is bound in heaven. It is good to ask married people if they were married for time or for time and eternity. One guy we tracted into was a little mad when I said this. I made him think and he realized he wasn't sealed forever. I pray that he will soften his heart and listen to missionaries and learn how he can do this. They really like the picture of the temples too. We show them and they always love it. Sometimes while teaching it is nice to have a visual so they can understand. We may say temples are the house of God and it is where we can be sealed but having a picture really captures their attention.
Sundays are always one of the best days. People are always more open and do not have work. We tried a potential yesterday that we was painting when we met her. We tried helping her out but she like everyone else here uses the excuse that we are dressed up nice. I always take it away by saying it doesn't matter or we can change into service clothes then they come up with another excuse. But we came over and offered to help her out with some things later this week and she said yes then we asked if we could share a message and she let us in. We answered a bunch of questions and she thought we practiced having mutiple wives so we cleared that up. We left her with a restoration booklet and a Book of Mormon so we will teach her after we help her out and then hopefully she reads the booklet so she can ask us some good questions as we teach her.
We ran into a couple that were finishing up with moving into a new house and I am praying they call us for some help. We had a good long conversation about the structure of the church and how it is exactly how Christ set it up in the primitive church. She thought it was amazing. I know this is His church and that the priesthood authority comes from Him and that we have and can perform miracles.
Sorry I wasn't able to send this on Monday. I write at the library and we only have so much time on the computers here and it logged me off before I could send it.
I love all of you!
Elder Turner
No comments:
Post a Comment