This week has been incredible. We had three goals for our area vision and they included talking to everyone, getting members to lessons and two baptisms. I know numbers do not mean a thing but when you do have numbers they are supported by actual people and its amazing seeing the miracles with the people in the area. In the beginning of the transfer we had a million contacts and new investigators and because we have been consistent in this the Lord has blessed us with investigators that come to church and who are progressing. We had 9 member present lessons this week and we more than exceeded our goal. It wasn't easy. Half the time we call every male priesthood holder we know and no one will answer. I know we can keep this up in this area at least until it is freezing cold. I don't know how much that will slow down the work or maybe speed it up. Everyone says people will let us in more if it is 30 below.
We still have two investigators that are on date and we have plans to get more on date. Yesterday we took out a recent convert with us to a lesson and they were not there. It happens a lot. So we went to try some potentials and while we were walking from one apartment complex to another I saw a dad working on his car with his daughters. We went over to him and asked if we could help him out. He was almost done but we had a good talk with him and he was really open and nice. We set up an appointment for next week. We have been praying for a family to teach and I think this could be the answer to our prayers. Most of the time you can tell from when you first talk to someone if they are really interested or not or if they will be a solid investigator. I have a good feeling.
In the last week I read all of Genesis and it is amazing how God keeps his commitments. If we make covenants with Heavenly Father he will bless us and keep up his end as long as we live worthily and keep up our end. It's awesome reading about the blessing he promised Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and he has kept them. I blessings I have received are amazing and I know if I do what I am supposed to do those blessings will come to pass.
I have never had so many bug bites in my life. Just because of this I want winter to come just to kill all the bugs.
God answers prayers. If we ask for specific things and if it be the Fathers will he will give us those blessings. But like the brother of Jared there is a trial of faith before we can see the miracle.
For some reason the missionaries here like to go frolfing. We went last Monday and it kinda sucked because of all the bugs but it was fun. Apparently there are pro Frolfers. A couple guys with huge bags came over and they threw the frisbees right to the hole. I don't know why they needed huge bags. What could they need other than at the most three frisbees and a water bottle?
I had my first exchange and I was in the brandon area with Elder White. We were even farther out from Sioux Falls and there were even more farmlands. I have never seen so much corn in my life. I want to just run in them one time and see if I can find some pheasants. Monday night we went to Valley Springs and we went street contacting. After a half hour of no luck I offered up a prayer and asked to be led to someone ready to receive the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Both Elder White and I were prompted to walk down a specific street and we were walking by a house and I noticed a bunch of small bikes and looked inside their house through their clear door and saw many little kids shoes. I felt prompted to go there. We walked up to the house and knocked. A father opened the door with a large book open. I knew it was a bible somehow and asked him "whatcha reading there?" He said he was reading the bible with his family. It was Monday night by the way. Elder White asked if we could join and we came into their house. They finished reading Matthew chapter 12 then they asked there five kids ( all under the age of ten sitting on the same couch) questions about the chapter. They were in depth questions of which some of them I had no idea and his kids probably know just as much about the bible if not more than I do and than Elder White.
It was scary when they were reading and answering questions. Just like when I was at the celebrate church I felt sick. There was no spirit there at all. After they finished asking questions the parents turned to us and this is how Elder White described the experience " The Father turned to us as he was sharpening his knife as if he had just the main course but now he was going to have us for dessert." The father was very much the head of the family and they all had their roles. Very traditional family but it was wrong. The mother did not talk as much and followed her husband even when she was more open to what we had to say. They told the kids to leave about ten minutes after they turned to us. They realized they didn't want to make their kids sit there while we talked forever. Right as the father was ready to bible bash I took control and said we are only here to invite them to read the Book of Mormon and to receive and answer through the Holy Spirit to know if the book is true, etc. I can't remember everything that was said but it was a good discussion. He made some weird comments though. When we gave both the father and the mother a Book of Mormon to look at the mother looked at it longer and had far more interest in it based off of my observation. They gave it back to us and he said" you can't put a copywrite on God's word." I just wanted to say where does it say that in the bible? for one I am pretty sure they didn't have copywrites in those times. I can say many things but I refrain.
He asked us if we knew what the Minora(not sure how that is spelled) was. Elder White talked about the tabernacle and how the candlestick thing in the holy of holies. He said there are 66 almonds painted on the candlestick representing the books in the bible. How in the world he got that information I am not sure. Would someone look that up for me????
But I know without a doubt that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and was translated by Joseph Smith. I know that modern day revelation through prophets is the only way that the church can remain on the earth and without it we could not perform all of the saving ordinances such as baptism and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost because we would not have priesthood authority of God.
I love all of you and I encourage you to read the sacred books of the prophets and to hearken unto President Thomas S. Monson. Every Sunday make a habit of reading a talk from general conference and commit to living one of the principles you learned from the talk for the next week. I know I get caught up in trying to do everything at once and it just gives me a headache. Don't try to run faster than you have strength to run. God knows how hard you are trying and you know. Do not worry about impressing others or showing off. A father here on Earth can give us great gifts so just think of the gifts that our Heavenly Father can give us. His reward will be far greater than any reward we get from man. Not saying anything against my dad of course. He is an amazing example and I am blessed so much because of the life he has lived and how is has brought me up and cared for me. Learn to be charitable. If you are ever struggling with becoming a better person work on charity and love. Everything leads back to it. If you have charity and you have love for others everything else you want to work on will fall into place.
Sincerely,
Elder Turner
No comments:
Post a Comment