Wednesday, January 21, 2015

10-20-14

Dear Everyone,
 
Yesterday we had stake conference and Elder Nash from the first qourum of the seventy was presiding. President steele was released from the stake presidency as well as his counselors. Everyone knew it was going to happen but I was glad I was there for the reorganization. Elder Nash talked about how they "find" the new stake president. It is a lot like how King David was picked. When they come to the stake they don't know who the next one will be. They meet a bunch of priesthood holders and find him by the spirit. The new stake president doesn't know his new calling till the day before he is set apart. I didn't know that. Even more interesting was we got there very early and I picked a seat in the third row so I could be up close to Elder Nash. We were up talking to members before it started and the new stake presidents family almost took our seats. They ended up sitting the row in front of us. They have lots of kids and they were going nuts the whole time. They were really cute but when you see the three year old sister put the two year old brother in a headlock it doesn't look cute haha. I could not imagine the stress that I would have if I was their mother during that conference especially when her husband went to take his place up front. Later in the meeting she was supposed to speak but she didn't know that till Elder Nash said it in the middle of the meeting. She wasn't even in the chapel at the time. She was in the restroom with one of her nine kids. When she went up to speak she said she was comforted by all the women around. They were helping her out with her kids. We all have different problems and difficulties in our lives but the Lord will help every single one of us no matter what our problem is. It is important to remember that He works through all of us. We can be answers to others prayers if we follow the spirit and always act in a loving caring manner.
 
Elder Nash gave a powerful message about tithing and fasting that the qourum of the twelve would have him give to us. He related our relationship to the Lord like this. A father is trying to help a young boy cross a part of the path that has a big drop and it is very narrow. The father encourages the boy to take a couple small steps at a time and the boy hangs on to him the whole time. He then talked about how us paying tithing is a step of faith and how the blessings are from heaven and are spiritual. When we don't pay our tithing it is like we are letting go of our fathers hand and tell him no! I don't want to move! We are then stuck there on the path and we go nowhere. What good will that bring if we don't listen to our father. He knows best and he wants to bless/help us. He will be at our zone conference at the end of the month so I am excited to hear from him again!
 
One of the most amazing blessings of being a missionary is seeing someone pray for the first time. Often times they are short prayers and they are nervous but they tend to be the most spiritual experiences. One of our investigators Arian said his first prayer. His family is Muslim. I don't think he actually practices it but he has never prayed to God. He was willing to learn and he did it. It is like a if a young adult left home for the first time and couldn't see his parents or even talk to them for 16 years then finally sees them. It is a very happy thing.
 
I am thankful that we can talk directly to our Heavenly Father. He loves us a lot. When we pray we can feel and recognize that love.
 
sincerely,
Elder Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment