Dear Everyone,
This first transfer has been amazing. I have learned a lot about missionary work and even more about the scriptures. It is crazy how the things I learn during personal study can apply to the lessons we teach each day.
Last Tuesday we taught some potentials in Harrisburg. It's funny how women are always more open and receptive to our invitations then men are. Just like last week the wife was willing to read the Book of Mormon and the dad pretty much said since it isn't the bible it is evil and he will not allow it into his house. So would that not mean that all the other books in the world are evil and that he wouldn't read anything???? Anyone who has actually taken the time to read from the Book of Mormon knows it testifies of Christ and his everlasting sacrifice for the sin of all mankind and through his grace and mercy the whole world can become clean and prepare themselves to enter into the presence of our Heavenly Father. The family was extremely nice but the dad didn't want it in his home and we had to respect him. The mother responded to our invitation before he did and then after he said it was evil she changed her answer. It drove me nuts. They both felt the spirit that we brought with us but he denied it.
On Wednesday we helped out a family in our ward with their roof. We tore down 5 layers of shingles.......... Most roofs are only supposed to have 2 layers. It was no bueno. My hands were raw after. Other than the hard labor it was awesome. We had a chance to spend time with members and it was nice getting to know some of them. The young men here in SD are a lot different than in Socal. First off they can have their license at 15. Pretty much all the young men in the ward 16 and up have jobs and work construction or at a farm and get almost 60 hours every week. It is not difficult at all for them to get a job and get that many hours. I wish I was blessed that way. It is tough though because every member that goes out to lessons with us isn't available till after 5 pm.
We have several investigators that are soo prepared for baptism right now and they know its true but they are having obstacles to get over. Some work on Sunday and others just don't seem to understand the concept of time and are not there when we show up to teach them. One of our investigators has been to church three times and even asked in relief society what she needs to do to be baptized but she flaked last night for the lesson.
In one of my prayers last week I was going to ask to find a family but I felt impressed to ask for two families that are prepared to recieve the gospel. Last night we taught a potential with his family and it turns out that both the mom and dad were divorced and it pretty much was two families. I am not sure if this is the answer to my whole prayer or half of my prayer. They have some family that are members and the father was very interested in learning about our faith and he said that mormons seem to stand out from all the other faiths. He wanted to know the differences and they are accepted our invitation to read and pray and to be taught more. I am super excited for this family. I know they have been prepared and that they will recieve an answer to their prayers and know with a surety of the truth and divinity of the Book of Mormon and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints is Christ's church once again established on the earth. All throughout the scriptures it talks about witnesses and how the word of God is established through them. The Old Testament, New Testament, and Book of Mormon another testament are those witnesses of these things and that the Spirit of God will be another witness for them. Their own witness.
My comp is going to be the district leader this transfer! He will be an awesome leader. I know he tries to be humble and prays for strength. I asked if he knows what he is doing and he says he does. His first comp who trained him was the DL. I get some more study time while he does his DL stuff so that will be really nice. It kinda stinks because we don't have as much time to go out and do missionary work though. I don't think I want to be a DL, ZL or AP because they don't have as much time for their own areas. I think training would be awesome though. Then you know the new missionaries are doing the right things because you taught them. Our DL this transfer is lucky. He is going to Bismark. He can go to the temple once a month which is way better than not going at all.
We have a baptism this Saturday. He is an 11 year old in a member family. He doesn't know who he wants to baptize him yet. I think it is awesome he is making that promise to take upon the name of Christ, always remember him and to strive to follow his commandments from now on. I would love to baptize him myself but it really doesn't matter. Our other investigator on date didn't show up to church so he is no longer on date but we will recommit him right away.
I love all of you and so does Jesus.
Sincerely,
Elder Turner
No comments:
Post a Comment